Re: [oletrucks] My Suburban broke!

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] My Suburban broke!
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:36:17 -0800
Well I just looked at it with a little more light and time.  The 'hood lock'
as its called in the Chevrolet assembly manual is definitely gone.  Its not
caught in the mechanism or lying in the splash pan.  I sure wish it was...

I now suspect the one I had was not original.  There is a nut on the lower
surface of the inside of the hood that this thing was screwed into.  Only a
little more than a quarter-inch of threads are visible inside that nut.  On
the other side of the panel I found a long bolt, with another nut holding it
in place.  So basically this long bolt was through one nut, some sheet
metal, and part of another nut.

The hood lock was screwed into what was left of the second nut.  Since its
gone, probably along the side of the road about a mile from here, I can't
say if it had a lock nut of any sort, but clearly this wasn't the right way
for this thing to be put together.

I'm thinking a better approach would be to get one of those real long nuts I
see at the hardware store next to the threaded rod display, and attach that
with a shorter bolt in place of the bolt and nut still there.  Then make
sure I have an inch or more of nut to screw the hood lock into.  And add to
that a jam nut and maybe some Locktite to keep it in place.

I want to thank everyone who has responded, and I'd be happy read any
additional ideas anyone else has to offer!