[oletrucks] 1949 GMC

To: "oletrucks list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 1949 GMC
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:09:34 -0700
I may have found a 1949 3/4 ton, 5 window GMC, courtesy of one of our list
members. A few questions.  I believe this year had the old "knee action" shock
absorbers. How hard is it to convert to tubular shocks? Any other potential
problems with a 49? Does the 3/4 have the enclosed or open drive shaft? I
appreciate the help I've gotten from numerous list members. My hopes are to
get either a 302 or 292, and put a 700R4 transmission behind it. What was the
factory rear end ratio for the 49 3/4 ton? REALLY low? I will probably add
front disc brakes, with a dual master cylinder on the firewall. At this point,
I don't think I need power steering or power brakes. That may change.  Bob K
in PHX, AZ.