[oletrucks] Engine help

To: "Old chevy truck advice" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Engine help
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlubitz@texas.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:46:06 -0600
Guys,

I have been a somewhat silent member for some time.  A "hello" to Whitney - I
am about to get Buddy running again.

After more than two years, I am ready to put a fresh engine in my '46 stock
3/4 ton.  And I need help:

    1.  What color should the engine and transmission be?  Any special paint
that I should use that will last better than another?
    2.  Anything that I should especially be cautioned about while dropping
the engine in place?
    3.  Is there anything that I should do to the tranny as long as everything
is apart?
    4.  Do I put the heads on first and then put the whole assembly in the
engine compartment?
    5.  The engine has sat for over five years.  It is clean and rust free.
What do I do to it before starting it, if anything?  Is there anything that I
should do to the engine to prepare it to turn over like spray it with WD40 or
something?  Can I prime the engine somehow?
    6.  What oil do I use?  When do I change the oil the first time?
    7.  How should I drive it once it is running?

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ALL YOU FINE PEOPLE AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL, TOO.

Michael Lubitz
'46 3/4 ton stock pick up, "Buddy"
'48 three window hot rod
Austin, Texas