Re: [oletrucks] Stock and Custom trucks at Truck Shows

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Stock and Custom trucks at Truck Shows
From: Ryan Sain <rsain@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:56:07 -0800
Interesting topic.

I've been in car clubs for the last 12 years. 8 of those I spent as vice
president. We hosted two shows a year and I've also produced many on my own.
As a result I've heard about every complaint one can have about how a show
is organized and implemented. Remember when reading the following that there
is no PERFECT show nor a PERFECT way to do a show. Someone will always
complain and someone will always compliment you; different strokes.

First off - I prefer not to combine stock and modified.

However - the show I currently host does exactly this. We are a small show
with limited funds and we want people to compete - not just show up and take
home a trophy. Technically speaking a well judged show will produce no
difference between stock and mod decisions. Criteria are always the same.
Period. We don't have different sheets for different cars. We always use the
same forms. Quality of paint - this category is not dependent on things like
graphics. Rather, how well the paint itself is laid (orange peel, lifting,
edges, road chips, etc.) - so there is a good argument for NOT separating
stock and mod.

I attend dozens of shows each year and see dozens of ways to do classes and
trophies. Not to mention judging. I always take my judges through several
hours of training based on videotaped examples. We go from a 1pt car to a
100pt car. It standardizes the way people look at the autos - such as the
paint example above - without the training some would think that the paint
is better just because it has more colors.

It sounds like this show was a little unclear on judging procedures - or at
least unclear on mine!

Most of the shows I attend have upwards of 25 classes (stock, street, mild,
wild x 2dr,4dr, full size, mini, etc.) and I don't like it. There is no
sense of accomplishment when one takes home a second place trophy but there
were only two trucks in the class!

Most important thing at shows: RELAX, DON'T EXPECT A TROPHY, TALK TO PEOPLE
ABOUT TRUCKS AND CARS, HAVE FUN AND GET A TAN. Did I mention, DON'T EXPECT A
TROPHY! If you have a problem with the judging or classing, nicely bring it
up to the head of the organization AFTER the show is over - remember
hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars go into putting on a show so the
staff is probably dead tired - keep your cool. (I've had people throw
trophies, yell, fight, break their cars, leave burnouts, etc. just because
they didn't score what they thought they should have. And all of this
occurred WHILE the show was happening.

Stepping off my soap box....

- Ryan