RE: [oletrucks] 55 chevy truck. Undercoating removal

To: "'mark treutelaar'" <phoneman@ticon.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 55 chevy truck. Undercoating removal
From: "Bob Chansler" <rchansl@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:15:43 -0700
Mark,
I have been working on the same problem. I started with a putty knife
and a hammer; very slow. I bought a heat gun to loosen the goo and
scrape it off.
Then I bought some stuff from Eastwood which was suppose to soften the
goo for removal.  The heat gun worked, but also re-melted the goo and
the residue left after removing the tar was like a new application of a
tar film on the surface. The stuff from Eastwood didnt work at all for
me. It would probably be ok for a thin film, but mine was an 1/8 inch
layer of goo. In the end, the fastest way to remove it was to take a
putty knife and a hammer and carefully chip it off the paint. It took
about an hour to do one sq foot. I still have some remains, but I think
I can remove what is left with paint thinner or some solvent.
If you find a good way left us know, because it is a pain to remove all
this stuff. The under side of my suburban, the fenders, the wheel wells,
and the hood are coated with 1/8 inch of undercoating.
Thanks,
Bob Chansler
Mead, CO

I am trying to get the  tar undercoating off the underside of my truck .
Sandblasting would not work . I am painstakingly using an angle grinder
with a
wire wheel. This is working but will take forever not to mention the
mess. Any
one know a better way ? There has to be a better idea Thanks Mark