Re: [oletrucks] BBC- 55/6 TF truck

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, mark <ccpanel@jps.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] BBC- 55/6 TF truck
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:14:17 -0700
> hey guys-wondering if any one has got a BBC in a stock chassis TF truck. or
> a chassis that has a stock 4spd in stock position with BBC.
> looking specifically for info on firewall clearance and also steering box
> clearance.
> i can NOT move steering or change chasis as its a stock !T camper and i like
> it.. =)
> just want to upgrade from 235 to 402/375hp motor!
> thanks
> you can send me pics and hopefully email me personally since i been too
> swamped to read the digest every day. thanks
> mark

Mark--

I have a couple of 59 trucks with big blocks.  The only real
difference between the 55-57 and 58-59 trucks is the
radiator, which is mounted pretty far back on original V8
(small block) trucks, but which can be moved forward to the
6 cyl position to put in a big block.

The steering/exhaust clearance is just a bit too tight with
the original style V8 bellhousing--the exhaust hits the
steering box.  The engine fit is much better if you can move
it over to the passenger side about 3/4 of an inch, and move
the engine forward about the same amount.  This means doing
away with the original bellhousing mounts, and adding a
crossmember at the rear of the transmission, and using side
engine mounts.  You probably wouldn't want to run the stock
4 speed behind a hi perf big block for long anyways!

I can take some pics of my trucks as they are now if you want.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org