[oletrucks] Open Cooling System in '50 GMC

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Open Cooling System in '50 GMC
From: Dave <dave@juniorbaseball.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:37:46 -0800
Hi Guys:

Dave here with my son Dusty's 1950 GMC w/235 six. Trouble is the thing is
running hot in traffic, and boils over when stopped and it heat-soaks.
Running at the top of the accessory temp gauge. We're in Southern California
and it gets hot, but it's not even summer yet.

The radiator is an "open" (non-pressurized) system, with a filler neck that
goes straight down - no flange for the radiator cap to seat against. So no
pressure is formed, and expanding fluids can cheerfully and without
restriction, rise up and spill out the overflow tube.

Has anyone had one of these and modified the radiator to fit a normal filler
neck that takes a pressure cap? I'm thinking of maybe only 6 lbs or so, not
enough to blow a heater core or anything. It has a new head gasket by the
way. Should this silly old open system be adequate in normal traffic? Can't
believe heat is hotter in 2004 than it was in 1950!

Any help appreciated! Answers offlist can go to dave@juniorbaseball.com

Dave Destler
Woodland hills, CA