[oletrucks] Fw: Water temp gauge question

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Fw: Water temp gauge question
From: "Alan Quin" <alquin@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 20:23:48 -0700
Can any one of you experts out there help with a couple of things that have
arose while doing a reading test on a stock A.D. water temp gauge. Letting the
mercury bulb sit in a boiling pot of water on the stove, the needle will go no
further than just to the right of center.Does this mean the unit needs
serviceing. I wish to install in place of an electric GM gauge 6V. I had a
chap install in my 12V. 350CI system. It works only if I rap the Gauge glass,
right to 220 Degrees.The engine has never overheated and I suspect the
gauge.How accurate are the bulb type units I 'm lucky to have obtained ? Also
the copper line to the bulb seems long enough to get to the thermostat housing
on my V8. Am I dreaming or did some trucks use a longer tube? Any suggestions
to these queries woald be appreciated . Thanks Al Quin 52 Canadian GMC Half
ton 350 Powerglide.