Re: [oletrucks] BB in a TF

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] BB in a TF
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:12:11 -0700
> I know some of you guys have big blocks in your TF trucks, as I've seen a few
> pics, but can't seem to remember all the details of the install.  I understand
> they're tight on the steering.  Any advice/pictures would be helpful.  I
> currently have a 327 in mine sitting on original V8 mounts.  I know I will
> need side mounts, and intend to keep the granny 4 behind it.
>
> Devin
>
> 57 3100

Devin--

The tightness at the steering will cause problems if you try
to run a 4 speed tranny.  The bellhousing mounts would keep
you from moving the engine forward and to the pass side 3/4"
like it needs for the exhaust to clear the steering box.
I've been there, done that...

One solution is to use a car type bellhousing, and a
different 4 speed that has a mount at the back, such as used
in cars (close ratio non-granny) or as used in newer trucks
(1973-up granny box).  You may need to cut out the
bellhousing crossmember to get the tranny to fit.

Another solution is to use one of the power steering kits
that puts the steering gear up front outside the frame.
Then you could leave the engine where it is and the only
issue would be that the valve covers and distributor will be
real close to the firewall.  Stock tin valve covers and a
point type distributor instead of the big HEI should let you
get away with this, though.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org