Re: [oletrucks] Tow bar problem

To: "Oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net (oletrucks@autox.team.net)"
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tow bar problem
From: Bob Fischer <r.fischerjr@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 11:57:50 -0700
It may be you turned a short radius right off after sitting so long, and
the wheels flopped over opposite
direction. Since you say it has a motor,  the front end should be down
low enough for the stock set-up
caster to work and the wheels should follow the tow vehicle. The caster
in the front is what allows the
wheels to follow, if there isn't enough they won't. I made ujp a tow bar
years ago (72) to tow a Model A
from Minn to Calif. I never tried it until a day or so before leaving.
First turn, and each thereafter the
wheels flopped over the opposite direction. Problem was I had removed
the old motor/trans allowing
the front to raise up, negating the caster. The short term solution was
a chunk of plywood bolted in where
the engine was with several sand bags piled on it :)   You might jack it
up and verify the wheels turn free side to side.
After 10 years the grease is probably gone and it may be very stiff.
Once you're on road making normal radius turns
it should right along.

--
Nothin lasts forever cept ol Fords and natural stone -Willie Nelson

http://Bobsplayce.home.att.net