[oletrucks] Starter problems

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Starter problems
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:40:10 -0500
The starter in my 57 GMC V8 daily driver has been giving me some grief
lately.  The solenoid was kicking in, but sometimes the starter did not
spin at all.  Eight or ten "retries" later it would spin and the engine
would start right up.

I disassembled the solenoid and did the cheap rebuild trick I learned in
high school in the 60's.  Took the two studs out, turned them 180
degrees and put them back in giving new contact surfaces.  I also took
some emery cloth to the "washer" that makes contact between the studs.
While I had the starter out I put in a set of brushes and cleaned and
lubed the bushings that the armature rides in.

Put it all back together and still had the same problem.

Looked around for a replacement starter and did not have much luck.

Finally checked the yellow pages and found Houston Alternator Repair
listed as repairing starters.

For $53 they put in new bushings, new solenoid, another set of brushes
and turned the commutator.  Had it done in an hour and a half.  Works
great.

Plus I didn't have to worry that I was getting the right starter.

You guys with small block Chevies can probably find a starter for less
than this at your FLAPS, but us Pontiac V8 equipped GMC people have to
be a bit more resourceful.