[oletrucks]< OFFTOPIC > '85 Chevy van - OEM dual air filters?

To: oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [oletrucks]< OFFTOPIC > '85 Chevy van - OEM dual air filters?
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:47:47 EDT
    Sorry for the offtopic post, but wanted to pick some of the finest
old-truck minds around for more modern stuff. :)  On-topic : Been working too
much
lately, haven't seen my '55 Chevy Suburban project in a few years. Don't know
when I'll get to the farm to see it...sigh.
   Ok, back to my question. My wife and I just bought a used Chevy 3/4 ton
van with 350 engine. It has a permanent filter element attached to the inside
of
the air cleaner housing, in addition to the paper element. I was told this
was basically junk, it added nothing, takes away air flow and breathing
ability,
and robs horsepower. Anyone have any comments as to whether I should A) yank
the housing out and just run a paper filter, or B) leave it in and accept
whatever it's supposed contribution to engine cleanliness ? How do you clean
it?
what's inside? Thanks for any and all comments.

 - Jerry in Virginia -