[oletrucks] TF steering box/column question

To: <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [oletrucks] TF steering box/column question
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:29:30 -0500
I have a replacement steering box/column that I am rebuilding to replace
the sloppy one in my 57 GMC 102.  I have it disassembled and would like
to take the column tube to the chrome shop before putting it back
together.  The box is cast iron and the tube is steel, so at least at
one time they were two different parts.  The GMC Master Parts Book lists
the tube (Jacket - Steering Column, part # 5671459) and the box (Housing
- Steering Gear, part # 5667991) as two separate parts and shows them as
such in the drawings.

Question:       How big of a hammer do you need to get them apart and
where do you swing it?