[oletrucks] A bit desparate for help with the final stages of installing

To: "Ole Truckers" <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [oletrucks] A bit desparate for help with the final stages of installing
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlubitz@texas.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:36:34 -0500
Guys,

I sent this message last week and I am hoping by sending it again that you
guys will notice and help me out as per usual.  (Thanks Mike Klepp for your
tip on getting the oil pump engaged for a bit to spread the oil around
inside the engine.)

I am in the final stages of installing my rebuilt 216 into my '46 3/4 ton
pickup and I need help with four things:

1.  How do I orient the flywheel so that the timing mark is in the right
place?

2.  I would like to roughly set the valves.  Can I set them to the specs for
a hot engine before I start it for the first time so that the valves are
close and the engine will fire?

3.  I am thinking that I will static time the engine so that I can get the
timing close.  Is the right thing to do?

4.  Any other tips for a first time do-it-yourselfer in getting the new
engine in and running correctly?

Michael Lubitz
'46 3/4 ton stock pickup named "Buddy"
'49 three window hot rod