RE: [oletrucks] Possible Project/Someone Identify?

To: "Nathan Pralle" <tarsi@binhost.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Possible Project/Someone Identify?
From: "Thomas, Robert E." <RThomas@ButteCounty.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:08:58 -0800
Nathan:

Looking at the pictures you posted, the complete truck is either a 1-1/2
ton or a 2-ton.  The rear axle looks like the normal 1-1/2 ton 6.12
ratio rear end.  The 2-tons used either that rear end or a two-speed
rear end [8.xx low & 5.xx (5.34?) high.  I don't have my book here to
check.].

The cabs are the same as the 1/2 tons, so you could put the cab on a
more modern 1/2 ton or fabricated frame & have a daily driver with
better suspension & handling.  The suspension on those old trucks is
punishing at best.

The front fenders are different from 1/2 ton fenders (larger opening,
different flare), but the 1/2 ton fenders are fairly easy to find if you
want to run a more modern 15" wheel & tire.

The brakes on the Art Deco truck are what are called "Huck" brakes.
They are, quite frankly, really spooky to use and not at all like the
more modern "Bendix" ("self energizing") brakes.  [I have some stories
about that!]  If you want to still have the "big truck" look & yet stop
decently, go to the more modern Bendix brakes from a 53-58 Chevy/GMC
1-1/2 ton.  You'll need to swap from the backing plate out. [backing
plate, wheel cylendar, brakes, springs, bearings, & drums).  What I did
not know until recently is that you will also have to use the 53-58
wheels, too.  They look the same as those on a truck equipped with Huck
brakes, but the center section, bolt size and bolt pattern are
different.  The later wheels do not swap with the earlier wheels.

If you stick with the original setup, I'd recommend using a power
booster on a more modern master cylinder.  I had been corresponding with
William Schickling on the list about copying his master cylinder set up,
but then found the brake pedal linkage on my trucks (a 1-1/2 & a
2-ton/2spd rear) was set up differently. [Look underneath & you'll
understand].  Since my generator recently went out on my 1-1/2 ton, I
was thinking about going to a 55-56-57 12-volt generator w/power
steering pump, & using the pump to power a hydro-boost brake booster
because I like the way the hydro-boost [Not the Hydro-Vac used in the
40's-60's] feel as compared to a traditional (vacuum operated) power
brake.

Quick question for the group:  Since I'm running a 216, I don't want to
hang a lot of additional "stuff" on my engine.  Is there a 12-volt
alternator/PS pump piggy back set up that I might be able to use vice
the 55-57 generator/PS pump set-up so I can get better voltage & less
drag than an antiquated generator?

Also, for those of you who may be interested, I'm selling my 54 GMC
1-ton flat bed (running, 235 powered), my 41 1-1/2 ton (216 engine,
running, no brakes now, but that's being remedied); & 46 2-ton (not
running, 2-speed rear end, missing 2-speed actuation linkage).  Many
extra parts.  I'm in Northern California.  Ping me off-list if you are
interested.

Nathan, I hope my comments help you & someone on the list can help me.

RT