Re: [oletrucks] Fuel Sending Unit

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fuel Sending Unit
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:53:30 -0700
> I took a chance on someone's suggestion of getting a military
> surplus Blazer gas tank from Coleman's Surplus.  The tank is a never
> used 27 gallon diesel tank and cost me less than $40 including
> shipping.  I'm basically figuring this out as I go, so I've had to ask a
> lot of stupid questions along the way.  Here's the latest: what do I
> need to get the gas from the tank to the engine?  What kind of a sending
> unit should I be looking for?  If anyone can provide any
> recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.  I have a 350 engine
> with a carburetor, and it's already set up for an electric fuel pump
> (that I don't have yet).  And it will be some time from now, but I'm
> also planning on using Dakota Digital gauges, if that matters.

Mark--

The original sender for the Blazer should work fine, it would be a
zero to 90 ohm type and you can adjust the Dakota gages to work with
it easily.

The fuel system starts at the sending unit, which should include the
pickup tube and screen that goes in the tank, then use a rubber hose
to connect to an inline filter (such as a Wix 33033) then to the fuel
pump inlet.  Mount the pump near the tank, down low, for best results.
  THere will probably be a vent line and a return line on the sending
unit that you'll need to deal with, the vent should be vented but in a
way that won't allow fuel to spill or leak, and the return line will
probably be plugged, unless you get fancy and use a bypass type
pressure regulator near the engine, which migth help prevent vapor lock.

Also consider using an oil pressure switch to energize the pump, then
if the engine dies the pump will stop pumping.  There's a 3 wire
switch that was used on late 70s Chevy Monza cars that also allows the
pump to energize while the starter is cranking.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.selectric.org