Re: [oletrucks] rear end info! :-)

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear end info! :-)
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:31:18 -0700
> Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 18:53:28 -0700
> From: "DONALD L SIMMONS" <dntsimmons@msn.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] rear end info! :-)
>
> Hey guys, I'm installing the rear end mount kit that I got from No Limit and I
> have some questions. It says to level the frame and set the pinion angle to
> zero. Then when you let it down it will be set perfect. I have everything set
> up like that and I have a magnetic degree wheel. Do I just set the degree
> finder on the front right behind the u-joint yoke or is this wrong? The rear
> end I have is out of 64 or 65 Chevy car with no cover on rear of it.
> Everything bolts in from the front. Anyway there is a flat spot to set the
> degree finder directly in back of the yoke. If  I am wrong please let me know
> because I would like to get these spring perches welded on and get this thing
> rolling again.(Not running-just rolling)  THANKS,
> Don Simmons
> 1953 3100

The drop-out third member rearend was last used in Chevy full size
cars in 64.  You might want to see if you can get a level across a few
of the nuts that hold on the third member to the housing, this may be
more accurate, or else on the face of the housing just next to the
third member.  This will be a vertical surface, but should be 90
degrees to the pinion.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!