[oletrucks] home on a rollback

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] home on a rollback
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:13:16 -0400
Once again had to bring the ole 56 home on a rollback, I left work and
after getting into 2cd gear something happened as the engine made a strange
noise--happened so quick I can't recall exactly what it sounded like. I
immediately pushed in the clutch out of reaction and let it back out too
see if it would fire back up in which it didn't and sounded like I was
trying to roll it off without the ignition turned on.  I was able to coast
backwards into a parking lot. I tried to crank it back up and all I got was
poof out of the carb so this leads me to believe it jumped timing. Had the
ole rod towed home, today I got out and pulled all the plugs, turned the
engine by hand and I heard nothing coming in contact with anything else, no
noises and no binding so i'm hoping its not that serious--although the
damage could already be done. I put the #1 cylinder (its the one on the
drivers side closest to the front of the truck) and got it TDC - I know a
v8 piston makes two strokes per revolution so I want to be sure I'm on the
correct stroke. If I place my finger over the plug hole, I feel the
pressure on the upstroke trying to push my finger away and isn't this the
correct TDC that i'm looking for to be sure the distributor rotor is
pointing toward the #1 cylinder?? I know the firing order and cylinder
numbering, so how can I tell if the timing chain jumped or if something
went wrong with the distributor? Doing the above looks like when the #1 is
TDC using the above info, the rotor is pointing toward the #4 plug wire
location. Any thoughts or suggestions on how I should proceed with figuring
out what happened will gladly be accepted. I have a Chiltons manual on the
way with all the specifics I need with this engine - which is a 1965 327
with HEI ignition...  Strange how something always happens when we things
we're getting ahead in life--We just bought a big crusin bike Kawasaki
Nomad 1500  http://www.chevytrucks.org/temp/kawasaki1500nomad.jpg and
starting to enjoy it as we plan on selling our smaller bikes as Connie has
decided she wishing to be a passenger again instead of a  rider.  Oh well,
such is life--maybe the truck's problem won't be tooooo bad..     --wayne

Wayne Osborne
http://www.chevytrucks.org
http://www.chevytrucks.org/wayne