RE: [oletrucks] home on a rollback

To: "ole trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] home on a rollback
From: "J Forbes" <jforbspam@fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:41:37 -0600
Wayne wrote:

 I know a
v8 piston makes two strokes per revolution so I want to be sure I'm on
the
correct stroke. If I place my finger over the plug hole, I feel the
pressure on the upstroke trying to push my finger away and isn't this
the
correct TDC that i'm looking for to be sure the distributor rotor is
pointing toward the #1 cylinder?? I know the firing order and cylinder
numbering, so how can I tell if the timing chain jumped or if something
went wrong with the distributor? Doing the above looks like when the #1
is
TDC using the above info, the rotor is pointing toward the #4 plug wire
location.

Wayne--one way to check to see if the cam timing jumped is to look at
the rocker arms when the timing pointer is at TDC.  the #1 and #6
cylinders are the ones to look at, both should have both rockers
approximately in the same place.  if it's at #1 firing, then the #1
valves will both be completely closed, and the #6 valves will be
slightly open.  If one is way open, then the cam timing is likely off.

Make sure that it wasn't just the distributor that jumped time,
sometimes the old syle clamps will let the dist turn quite a bit, and
cause mayhem like that....the newer one piece stamped steel Chevy made
clamps are much better than the wire type.

Jim
--
  J Forbes
  jforbspam@fastmail.fm