RE: [oletrucks] steering box gasket

To: "J Forbes" <jforbspam@fastmail.fm>, <hosang1@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] steering box gasket
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:26:37 -0500
I've been trying to send this message since yesterday and for whatever
reason the OleTrucks server seems to be ignoring me.  I've been chopping
off the bottom portion of the message.  Here are my comments:

I have made numerous gaskets (including the one you want to make) for my
'57 GMC.  Most FLAPS carry sheet gasket material in various thicknesses.
I clean the surface of the part that the gasket mates with and then
using light taps with a small ball peen hammer use the surface edge to
cut the gasket.  You can even use the round end of the hammer to cut out
the bolt holes.  The biggest trick is to not let the gasket material
move around once you start cutting it.

For this application get the thinnest sheet they have.  It will probably
be 1/32" thick.  They usually come rolled up in a box.  If you have
time, cut the sheet to an inch or so bigger than the final piece will be
and then put it under a heavy book overnight to flatten it out.  Easier
to work with that way.  I usually start by using the round end of the
hammer to cut out one of the bolt holes.  Then run a bolt through the
hole and snug it down with a flat washer to protect the gasket material
and a nut.  That will keep the gasket from moving around while you are
cutting it.  As you continue around the edge of the mating surface you
can install additional bolts/washers/nuts as you cut more holes.

Tap gently with a small hammer at an angle at the edge of the machined
surface and you'll be surprised how good of a gasket you can make.

I would not use this method to make a gasket that would be under high
pressure, but I have three gaskets made like this on my truck that have
been withholding radiator pressure for years with no leakage.