[oletrucks] 1950 project

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 1950 project
From: "John Lyon" <jlyon@windoverlake.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:46:52 -0400
I recently retired (early) and came across a 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton that I'm
thinking about buying and restoring. I've attempted this before (when trying to
work 6 days a week) with a '55 Chevy 210 and a '62 Corvette. I never found the
time and eventually sold them.

I haven't decided if I would restore to original or if I would rather 'update'
it.  I'm thinking about a whole new drive train (350 cu, TH400, Ford 9") and
IFS, 12v, etc.

The reason I'm writing is I would like to know if the price is reasonable and
to get some info on part suppliers, both OEM and custom. I haven't went over
the truck with a fine tooth comb yet, but it appears all the original parts are
there (from what I know so far). The truck is together and does drive. The bed
is off and in a garage. The cab and front clip is all there and looks good. It
has '51 doors (vent windows) and the engine is a newer 6-cyl (don't know which
one yet). The bed was on the ground for awhile and the bottom of the rear
fender are rusted out. There are two sets of running boards but all are in bad
shape, as are both bumpers.The original interior is bad of course, but
everything is there.

There is a lot of work to be done, but it appears to me this is a decent truck
to begin such a project, with my limited knowledge of course. I'm sure this
fellow will take $2500 for it (perhaps a bit less), asking $2875

I would appreciate hearing from you more experienced folks about this project,
what to look and watch out for, etc.

John...