Re: [oletrucks] 1950 project

To: John Lyon <jlyon@windoverlake.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1950 project
From: Mark Mintmier <tenisguy@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:31:13 -0400
John,

I started much the same way - after looking for a while, I found a 1950
Chevy 1/2 ton that someone else had restored (amateur).  The truck was
complete, running, and mostly driveable.  I paid $2500 for it.  Since
then, I have torn it down to the frame and redone everything, converting
to IFS, 350, 700R4, Trans Am rear end, etc.  At this point, I basically
have a rolling chassis with a TON of work still to do to the body and
interior.  Right now, I have about $9000 in it, and at the pace I'm
going, I probably won't be driving it for 10 years (but I'm still in the
"working 6 days a week" phase).  Even worse, if I would try to sell my
truck now, I'd be lucky to get half of what I have in it, not counting
labor.  Working on the old truck can sometimes be it's own reward, and
when I started, I had no choice but to find something fairly inexpensive
with the hope of making it into what I wanted.  I've learned more than I
ever imagined that I would, but if I was doing it over again, I am
pretty certain that I would buy a completed truck that was already close
to what I want.  For me specifically, in the long run it would have been
cheaper and much faster to buy a completed truck for $15,000 to $20,000,
and given my limited skills, it would probably even be a better finished
product.

There are enough aftermarket parts out there for the most popular models
that you could actually build a truck from scratch - all the parts are
available, including frames and fiberglass cabs.  It all comes down to
what you want, what you can do, and what you are willing/able to spend.
I think that nearly anyone will agree - once you buy the truck, it's
going to cost more than you expect to make it what you want.  You'll be
replacing the drivetrain, so it's condition doesn't really matter.  I
would suggest that you make sure the frame is solid.  If you have the
skill to rehabilitate rough body panels or you are willing/able to spend
a lot on reproduction pieces, you can probably find another truck to
start with much cheaper.  If you need a truck in good condition because
you'll only be changing the drivetrain, then $2500 doesn't sound too bad.

Good Luck,
Mark