Re: [oletrucks] 1950 project

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1950 project
From: Alan Horvath <alan@alanhorvath.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:41:37 -0400
One thing I've learned with my first truck, which I love and enjoy
(daily) beyond description, is to avoid using after market stuff like
the plague.  For example, I thought my new door handles were really
nice!  Until last week when a buddy of mine came home with a 54 Chevy
BelAir that was in really nice condition with only 45,000 original
miles on it (original engine and all!) ... I looked at the door handles
and I couldn't believe the difference.  I mean the quality was just ...
obvious.

I put restored, chromed vent windows in last year from BowTie Bits and
they're great, too, but after only one year and they started rusting!
Same thing with new front parking lights -- the chrome was heavily
pitted!  I polished them up with chrome polish and all the rust, even
the pitting, disappeared ... it's not a problem, but my point is that
original parts are far, FAR superior!

Bear that in mind.

Alan
http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/