Re: [oletrucks] 55-59 Chevy disc brake conversion . from CCP

To: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55-59 Chevy disc brake conversion . from CCP
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:41:36 -0500
Yeah, the steering shouldn't be that hard. As mentioned in the article I
found some severe binding in the kingpin, nothing physically wrong but just
unable to grease inside the housing. I pulled the zirks, used brake cleaner
I believe it was and flushed the old grease out after digging out the
crusty stuff. After services, man what a difference in the steering this
made...  The ball type bearing were good in the old days, but if you've put
wider tires on the front the tapered bearing will help distribute the load
better and cause less wandering on the road.  --wayne