RE: [oletrucks] How to clean & seal rusty gas tank??

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] How to clean & seal rusty gas tank??
From: "AKB" <akburke@cableone.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 07:32:21 -0600
I faced the same problems with my '49 panel tank...no one would weld on
it....the local radiator shop dipped the tank and couldn't touch the
crud....I search junkyards for alternatives, even tried a couple to no
avail...I ended up putting JB-Weld (epoxy?) on the outside...and doing my
best to clean the inside.  I put some aquarium rock in it and hung the tank
from the rafter and spent hours swinging and shaking on all sides and
flushing and changing the rock....sort of like a reverse rock tumbler.  The
hardest part was probably getting all the rock out...there's a couple of
baffles in there that make it a veritable Chinese puzzle.  I was amazed and
the amount, size, colour, and stink of the crap that came out.  Once clean
(or once I ran out of patience) I sealed the tank well and put in an extra
inline  clear gas filter.

And after all that I ended up with a mere 13 gal tank that seeps just a
little.  The good news is that the small size keeps the cost of the frequent
refills down ;-)

If I had it to do again.....I'd find an alternative...I have a Monza tank
between the rear rails in the Panel I'm doing now (I know, not a huge tank
but bit bigger...and it's clean!!.  The original panel frame/tank is under
the pickup and the pickup frame is going under the Panel...that's another
story.)

g'luck
-A