[oletrucks] How to clean & seal rusty gas tank??

To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net,
Subject: [oletrucks] How to clean & seal rusty gas tank??
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:09:38 -0600
I'm going to try and repair my rusty Burb gas tank that has one small hole
near the filler tube. New ones are $600.00+ and no one is interested in
making a new one.  I have searched the archives and am perplexed as to what
kind of acid I should use to clean out the rust on the inside of the tank.
Some say phosphoric(sp) acid and others cry muratic acid.  I haven't found
anything that says what mixture of either nor the duration of a cleaning
session.  I have a can of tank sealer from Jim Carter.

So my question to the group(s) is -- What strength, how long is a treatment,
how many treatments and what kind of acid should I use to remove the rust
from my Burb gas tank?  Any web sites that would be helpful?

The Burb is now running and is currently at the fabricator for an exhaust
system.  My new gas tank is a modified 1 gallon Authentic Wal-Mart gas can
that is bailing wired up to the fender brace.  The seats are getting
recovered in Spanish grain maroon.  Tires are next week.  I am also looking
for a cheap loan to pay for all of this. =8o

Durwood
51 Chevy 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window
52 Burb