Re: [oletrucks] Wordy Tale of Woe

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Wordy Tale of Woe
From: Jonas Thaler <jonasthaler@jonasthaler.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 05:39:29 -0700
There's a shiny "new" gas tank back there..  But these clues may
reveal something in the fuel system.  Also I am a bit suspicious of
my timing ability.  Almost every time I pointed  that  gun at the
hole something got in the way.  So I need to practice that.  And it
has taken two people because I couldn't figure out how to use a
remote starter with the foot switch starter (any secret tips there?)

I suddenly remember my first vehicle a 65 1/2 ton Chevy pickup (with
a V8) which was the only one of the 80 or 90 vehicles I have owned
which died on a busy freeway.  It was dirt in the gas tank.  I was
too poor (college student) and nervous to pull the tank.  The way I
solved the problem was to keep swapping fuel filters until they
didn't get clogged any more!  Ultimately that truck nearly killed my
dad (who confiscated it from me my second year in college!) when the
brake line broke, again on the freeway.

Other truck adventure  -  I had a green 50 GMC 3/4 tone pickup in
college which I loved dearly.  The brakes always needed pumping up.
One day the pedal sank into the floor and snagged in the sheet
metal.  The truck jumped the curb up onto the UC Berkeley campus,
heading toward a huge group of students.  It knocked over a mailbox
and sort of came to a stop.  I yanked the pedal out by hand, pumped
up the master cylinder and high-tailed it out of there.  Nobody was
hurt and despite 2000 witnesses I never got busted for the downed
mailbox...  Here I am confessing after 32 years.