[oletrucks] Wordy Tale of Woe

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Wordy Tale of Woe
From: Jonas Thaler <jonasthaler@jonasthaler.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:45:35 -0700
I have a 59 3200 with 235 6cyl... An all-original New Mexico farm
truck.  By the way, when I was a little boy in New Mexico, nobody had
a nice shiny truck like this one!  My father's friends all had trucks
from the twenties and thirties!  I loved every one of them (the
trucks, not my dad's friends...)

I bought the truck with a recently rebuilt motor. I t was running
okay except for a flat spot at the top of second gear.  The
distributor was very wiggly in its mount so I had it rebuilt and I
had the carb rebuilt also at a reputable local place.

I remounted the carb and could not get it adjusted right for the life
of me.   The spark plugs were thickly covered in carbon.  And I had
tried starting it so many times that I must have left the ignition on
and boiled the coil.

So I replaced the ignition coil, changed out the points, gapped em
to .019, changed the plugs, gapped em to .035, new spark plug wires,
new condenser, rotor and distributor cap.  Reet the fuel/air screw on
the carburetor to 2.5 turns out and started the truck with the choke
closed.  (It refused to start any other way...)    It started up
(rough) and after a few minutes it slowly opened the choke and it
died.    Seemingly forever!

It is behaving the same way it did before.  Right away there is new
soot on the plugs which I have cleaned off.  I guess I could take the
carb back to the rebuilder and ask what is up, but I really think
those guys know what they're doing.  The best it has ever run is when
my friend rough adjusted the timing with the loose distributor. It
was actually running much better before I started improving things,
and now it won't run at all.

I don't trust the mechanic I took it to for the distributor because
he put the same old points and condenser in and told me he could not
figure out how to set the timing (!!)

There is a really good auto electrician guy in my neighborhood who
told me he would work on old trucks only if they were all stock.
Mine is.  But I towing it out of my backyard is a nightmare.

Anything I am missing.  I feel like a rank amateur (PS I a a rank
amateur!!)

Depressed.  Want to use my truck.

This is supposed to  be the hottest day of the year by the way; it
was over 100 degrees everywhere in Southern California...