[oletrucks] RE: original column with power steering

To: "mark" <ccpanel@yahoo.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: original column with power steering
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:33:15 -0500
Thanks for the comments Mark.

I'm 6'5" (in the morning, probably down to 6'3" late in the day -
getting old) but when I redid my '57 GMC 8 years ago I pulled the gas
tank out of the cab and used the extra space to move different seats
further back in the cab.  Space between my large gut and the stock
steering wheel isn't a problem.

I have a spare column that I already cut off at the flange of the
steering box.  My brother is making me a Delrin "bushing" to use as the
lower column bearing.  Apparently there are multiple types of Delrin and
he is using that hardest type.

My problem is that my truck still has its original Hydra-Matic. The
Hydra-Matic linkage attaches to the steering column under the hood about
3" from the firewall.  I need to leave at least that much of the column
there.  The longer the column, the larger the angle that the Flaming
River U-joints I bought will have to make.  I'm probably worrying where
I have nothing to worry about, but I'd just like to know who else has
done this kind of an installation and how far from the firewall their
upper u-joint is installed.  I guess it wouldn't make any difference
what kind of column they used as long as they connected to an 800 series
power steering box mounted outboard of the frame and forward of the
front axle so I wouldn't be comparing apples to cumquats.