RE: [oletrucks] RE: original column with power steering

To: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] RE: original column with power steering
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:32:56 -0500
Carl:   I read your article a couple of weeks ago, but given that it was
not a stock column I didn't know if it applied to me.  You said "this
left only 1-2 inches of column showing through the floor", but you
didn't say how far out of the column the shaft extended.  Also, did the
new column come through the floor in the same position as the original
column?  If it does, a measurement from the top of your upper u-joint to
the firewall along the axis of the steering column shaft will be all I
need to calm my fears.  I'm one of these people who plan and fret over a
project for months before starting it and still have to make one or two
extra trips to the parts store after I actually begin.

The U-joints I am using are from Flaming River and claim to work up to
35 degrees.  No way I will be bending them that far.