Re: [oletrucks] 58 Chevy Panel

To: <KremerRAK@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 58 Chevy Panel
From: "The Botelers" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:53:34 -0400
Rick,

1955 and later are all 12 volt systems.

I think you should do the following at a minimum:

Drain old oil.

Remove valve cover and pour Marvel Mystery Oil all over everything, make
sure to put plenty down the push rods to lube the cam shaft.

Put MM Oil in all cylinders and let soak for a few days to loosen the rings
before you try to turn the engine over by hand.

Remove carb and rebuild it while things are soaking.

Have you turned the motor yet...if it's been soaking for a few days, give it
a try...by hand.  Make sure the valves aren't stuck in the open or closed
positions.

Replace the fuel pump, even if it looks good the old rubber will break down
with the new type gas.

Send the gas tank out and have it cleaned.  I'm sure it's full of rust and
varnish.

Replace ALL rubber and steel brake lines, they rust and collapse from the
inside.  Making a truck go is the easy part...stopping is the hard thing!

Rebuild the Master Cylinder.  After sitting so long you might need to get
another one, I bet yours will be pitted beyond honing.

Replace the Wheel Cylinders they are cheap.

Replace the brake shoes and springs as needed.

Pull the trans plug and let it drain for a few days.  Then refill with 90
weight gear lube.

Remove the radiator hoses and back flush the radiator.  Replace the hoses
and fill with water only while you check for leaks.

Do a tune up on the ignition system.

Don't forget to add the engine oil.

Install a hot battery and see if it will start!

I'm sure I missed something, but this should get you close.

Good Luck!

Mike Boteler
'56 4400 Brush Fire Truck NAPCO
'56 8400 Wrecker w/Holmes 525