[oletrucks] Time for new front springs

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Time for new front springs
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:54:16 -0600
My '57 GMC is leaning to starboard at the bow. Only about 1/2" clearance
from the spring to the snubber. The other side has about an inch and a
half.

This is a daily driver with original Pontiac V8 and Hydra-Matic and
aftermarket A/C with 123" wheelbase. It originally had 8 leaf front
springs, which is heavy duty vs. the standard 7 leaf GMC and I think 6
leaf Chevy springs.. I removed #2 and #4 (counting from the short end of
the stack) 5 years ago. Probably shortened the life some.

I am considering Classic Parts (used to be Chevy Duty), Heavy Chevy,
Obsolete Chevy and Eaton Spring as vendors for the new springs. Do any
of you have any spring specific experience with any of these vendors?
I'll also be buying new eye bolts and shackle kits.

Eaton makes springs and offers slight lowering and reversed eyes for
just a few bucks more. I'm going to check with these vendors to see if
any offer nylon "buttons" or other upgrades that would make the springs
slide easier.

Your first person experience is appreciated.