RE: [oletrucks] Welding Question

To: pattie1tom@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Welding Question
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:13:20 -0600
Tom:
I've helped a friend the last several years patch-up his truck and all his
patch and seam welding on the body panels was done with a MIG wire welder.
Seems to work real well and doesn't generate as much heat to warp the metal
as stick welding or gas/braze welding.

When welding a seam or body panels together the secret appears to be to go
SLOW and spot-weld alot, then go back an fill-in in small sections to
prevent warping due to excessive heat.

You may also want to do an internet search on body repair/welding to see if
there are some good self-help articles out there.  A while back Eastwood's
web site had books and videos you could purchase that could be helpful too.

Hope this helps, good luck with your body work and let us know if you find
any good information that can be passed on to others on this list.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL

>From: pattie1tom@aol.com
>To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
>Subject: [oletrucks] Welding Question
>Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:32:14 -0500
>
>  Hello all
>
>I have a 1956 TF that I have finally got around to sand blasting and now I
>am ready to do the body work. I have had several people tell me several
>different things about how to weld patch panels and fix holes. And everyone
>does not agree. So, I am asking the group for theiy opinion. This may open
>a discussion that has already occurred. So whats the best method and any
>suggestions whether it be wire feed, gas, stick, duct tape and bondo.....
>
>Thanks.
>
>Tom Forcier
>Sarasota, FL

Type your favorite song.  Get a customized station.  Try MSN Radio powered
by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001