Re: [oletrucks] 58 GMC Gas Gauge Inoperative

To: dcvjrv@comcast.net,old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 58 GMC Gas Gauge Inoperative
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:38:28 -0500
Here's a link on some gauge troubleshooting, might help ya.
http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/gasgauge.htm
In a nutshell this might help:
   If you lift the hot wire on the sender, the gauge
should go to full with the key on.  If it doesn't, there is something wrong
at the gauge, like the internal ground isn't making contact.  If it does go
to full, start looking at the fuel level sender.  Take it out, hook up the
hot wire, ground the sender flange with a jumper wire, and move the float
up and down.  If the gauge doesn't move or if the float sticks or hangs up,
you have a bad sender.

A poor ground at the fuel tank should make the gage read higher than normal.
Check this ground!!!    --wayne