Re: [oletrucks] Cab Bracing

To: "Steve Hanberg" <Steve@OldSub.com>, "oletrucks"
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Cab Bracing
From: "James Hays" <thomasind@nventure.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 08:14:46 -0700
Steve:

3 to 5 window took awhile but turned out well with the only hind sight being
not holding the inside '' patch panel '' edge farther away from the inside
seam just outward of the center window ( see below ) ending up losing the
seam detail to weld/grind but have to be a AD guy to know it.

As with anything taking time with the patch panel gage / indexing & patch
panel fits are the key. I tried to locate seams in areas for the easiest fit
/ grind. Gages located and established shapes of outside patch panels (
straight cuts when possible ) allowing identical scribe lines on both cabs.

1) Made light weight frame like gages for each outside patch panel shaped
like proposed patch panels around corner windows indexed from from center
window - door opening rear gutter - the roll around the cab. Did not make
upward edge of gage any higher than needed - door gutter side edge away from
the gutter about 1/2'' - center edge away from the cab inside upright seam -
lower edge about half way down the cab roll.

2) Both cabs scribe identical lines on outside.

3) Donor drill 3 small holes for locater pins ( small nails ) in window
opening lip surface.

4) Donor drill out spot rivets in window lip surface.

5) Donor cut out outside window panels - plus metal conditioned ( used cut
off wheel in
4 1/2 angle grinder )

6) Donor establish inside patch panel shape ( watch seam next to center
window ) and cut out.

7) Receiver cut out outside patch panel.

8) Receiver fit & tack window panels in truck.

9) Receiver cut out inside window area - plenty on the small side.

10) Receiver locate inside window panel with 3 locator pins in lips area &
scribe around window patch panel.

Hope this gives you an idea - gages & pins do all the locating work.

Jim