[oletrucks] '59 GMC stuck in 1st gear

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] '59 GMC stuck in 1st gear
From: Heather Bean <bean@frii.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:19:57 -0600
My 59' GMC 100 pickup has been driving great for about a thousand miles
since I put in a new clutch.  Then, yesterday, with no warning, the gear
shift lever (four on the floor) got stuck.  The truck is in 1st gear and
the shift lever moves somewhat fore and aft, but it no longer moves side
to side at all.  The clutch works as normal and there's no grinding, the
transmission is just stuck in first.  There wasn't even an alarming
sound of any kind when it got stuck, I was just pulling out of a parking
space when it happened and everything was normal until I couldn't
upshift.  I pulled the shift lever/linkage attached to the tranny top
cover off this afternoon, and that appears to be where the jam is.  Even
with the cover off of the tranny, the shift lever is still jammed.
However, I don't see anything obviously broken, frozen, or terrifyingly
worn on the linkage.  Certainly I'm not seeing anything that looks like
it should have caused such an immediate and complete malfunction when
all has been great for years.

Has anybody seen this before?  Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm
finding this a bit perplexing.

Thanks!
Heather