Re: Magnaflux

To: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.coh.org>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Magnaflux
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 97 07:27:13 EST
On Mar 4, 10:57pm, "Dunst, Mordecai" wrote:
>      Q)  Conventional wisdom dictates that a magnafluxed piece of
>      ferrous metal is OK to use.  Suppose that piece of metal has been
>      used for MANY hours...under hard loads.  i.e. a buddy of mine has
>      an older airplane.  About 8,000 hrs on the engine.  He has the
>      standard annual and has the crank magnafluxed-"OK".  He says the
>      FAA says its ok to re-use.  Is it?

I'm by no means an expert, but my understanding is that magnafluxing
will only detect surface cracks.  X-raying will detect internal
flaws (if they're big enough and the operator is good enough at
their diagnosis), but I'd guess that after 8,000 hours you'd
already know about any internal flaws.  I guess what you need to
be worried about is fatigue, and I don't know of a method to
detect that until it progresses so far that cracks are propogated
to the surface.  Anyone else know of one?

cheers,

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm