Magnaflux

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Magnaflux
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 15:59:00 -0500
-> ferrous metal is OK to use.  Suppose that piece of metal has been
-> used for MANY hours...under hard loads.  i.e. a buddy of mine has an
-> older airplane.  About 8,000 hrs on the engine.  He has the

 Probably okay.

-> When does a piece of metal become unsafe to re-use even if it meets
-> specs?.  How can you tell in a cost effective way.?

 As far as I know you can't tell by looking at it.  Eventually the rods,
crank, or other components will fail due to fatigue, but it tends to be
a rapid process - if you happened to Magnaflux it just as a crack formed
you'd be okay, but propagation is rapid in fatigued parts.

 Bucks-up and factory backed racers do it by the numbers - so many laps,
passes, or miles, and all the shiny expensive parts go in the dumpster
or used-race-car-parts-for-sale bin and new shiny expensive parts go in.

====dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==