Re: Operation of Handymig SIP welding unit

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, Bob Douglas <b-douglas@ti.com>
Subject: Re: Operation of Handymig SIP welding unit
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.coh.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 97 09:01:39 pst
     I've got a similar unit (made in Italy).  Probably made by the same
company.  Mine is called an ASTRO 120.  The combination/permutations of the
switches (4) change voltage delivery.  The important thing is making sure
the wire feed selector is not to fast for the gauge and heat or else you
heat the metal and the wire goes through making holes.  I would definetly
experiment on tailpipe repair.  The old tailpipe is probably not uniform
in thickness or integrity..   - I repaired tailpipe with this machine too.

One other thing.  Make sure you have a good 115/20amp voltage source.  If the
voltage drops the machine heats too fast and the weld is less than nominal.

Remember it has a small duty cycle about 10%.  i.e. I think this means that
for a one minute period (60sec) you can "only" weld for 6secs- resting for
the balance..

Mordy
Cacoethes Loquendii