Re: Operation of Handymig SIP welding unit

To: mdunst@smtplink.coh.org
Subject: Re: Operation of Handymig SIP welding unit
From: Brian Kelley <bkelley@ford.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 10:26:06 EST
Mordy writes:

>      I've got a similar unit (made in Italy).  Probably made by the same
> company.  Mine is called an ASTRO 120.

Sounds like my Daytona MIG.

> The combination/permutations of the
> switches (4) change voltage delivery.  The important thing is making sure
> the wire feed selector is not to fast for the gauge and heat or else you
> heat the metal and the wire goes through making holes.

When welding upside down or on a vertical, I've found that adjusting
the feed with your 'spare' hand as you weld can be invaluable to getting
consistency.  It is worth rigging up a pedal.

> I would definetly
> experiment on tailpipe repair.  The old tailpipe is probably not uniform
> in thickness or integrity..   - I repaired tailpipe with this machine too.

Agreed.  You've got to play with each power setting, the feed
rates and get some good bench practice with good sheet metal before you
tackle something rusty and upside down ;-)  Not to mention shake any
bugs out of the welder.

> One other thing.  Make sure you have a good 115/20amp voltage source.  If the
> voltage drops the machine heats too fast and the weld is less than nominal.

> Remember it has a small duty cycle about 10%.  i.e. I think this means that
> for a one minute period (60sec) you can "only" weld for 6secs- resting for
> the balance..

Haw Haw.  Mine shuts down when it's had enough ;-)

I've since added a cooling fan to the unit and it makes a big
difference.

But even before that I'd run the unit much longer than what you describe.
I have put at least 20 lbs of wire through it.

  Brian

--
bkelley@ford.com