Re: Re[3]: Three phase electrons

To: JackiHarry@aol.com
Subject: Re: Re[3]: Three phase electrons
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:54:17 -0500 (EST)

<< single phase (and I include 220vac in as
 single phase, because that's how it is used in AC motors) >>

220 V AC as used in your home is indeed single phase. 220 V AC comes into
your house from a power transformer with a center tapped secondary. From one
end of the secondary to the center tap gives 110 V; from the center tap to
the other end of the secondary is 110 V. From one end of the secondary to the
other is 220V.

     X            110
     X            110

I've racked my brain to think of a simple explaination of 3 phase vs single
phase within the graphical limits of e-mail, but I can't. Basically, what
everyone else has said is correct, except for the part about 220 being
2-phase.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN