FW: RE: Three phase electrons

To: shop-talk
Subject: FW: RE: Three phase electrons
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 01:58:39 -0700 (MST)
[shop-talk-owner@Autox.Team.Net: BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member
submission from ["Roger Garnett" <rwg@autox.team.net>]]

     Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:13:20 -500
     From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg@autox.team.net>
     Subject: RE: Three phase electrons

On 10 Mar 97 at 11:28, Mark Miller wrote:

> >>From:       Dunst, Mordecai[SMTP:mdunst@smtplink.coh.org]
> >>Can someone give me a simple clear explanation of 3phase electricity?
>
> It's easier with a graph but bear with me.

Well, I can even do that. Due to the nature and timing of the 3 sine waves, the
resultant power curve looks like this:

That's right- flat, with no peaks. The highs & lows of all 3 phases cancel out
to make a nice, constant power output. The result? With the peaks of
single/dual phase, you get pulsing at the line frequency, which can be seen in
the final work. With 3 phase, it's smooth, like DC.

 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
                  "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."