metal brake line replacement & tools

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: metal brake line replacement & tools
From: Bob Douglas <b-douglas@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 13:16:43 -0800
There was a recent post on another list that recommended changing out
the metal brake lines when rebuilding old (30+ year) automotive hydraulics.
I'd appreciate this list's inputs on a few related questions:

        1. Are fatigue or corrosion related failures a significant risk on
           old brake lines that appear sound on visual inspection (surface
           rust only)?

        2. I can purchase straight line with pre-attached fittings locally,
           but have not been able to get good matches in the needed lengths
           and desired material.  Does anybody have a supplier that can
           provide custom lengths in stainless?

        3. Is building your own lines a cost effective option for the
           hobbyist?  What tools are used to attach fittings to the lines?
           I imagine it's something more substantial than a common flaring
           tool.  Does anybody know of sources for the needed tool(s) and
           supplies?

Thanks and regards,  Bob Douglas   Dallas, TX