Re: metal brake line replacement & tools

To: Bob Douglas <b-douglas@ti.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: metal brake line replacement & tools
From: Dave Pucklavage <puck@ptdprolog.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 20:37:51
At 01:16 PM 3/14/97 -0800, Bob Douglas wrote:
>There was a recent post on another list that recommended changing out
>the metal brake lines when rebuilding old (30+ year) automotive hydraulics.
>I'd appreciate this list's inputs on a few related questions:
>
>       1. Are fatigue or corrosion related failures a significant risk on
>          old brake lines that appear sound on visual inspection (surface
>          rust only)?

Yes. You can not see the inside, or how bad they are worn on the outside.
The corrosion can weaken the line and cause it to ruture at any time. You
just can't tell.

>       2. I can purchase straight line with pre-attached fittings locally,
>          but have not been able to get good matches in the needed lengths
>          and desired material.  Does anybody have a supplier that can
>          provide custom lengths in stainless?

Go as far as you can with the strait lines and then add flex line to the
ends. They can be flexed to fit in place and come in many sizes. You can
get custom ones made, or do it yourself, but the custom will cost a lot,
and yours may leak.

>       3. Is building your own lines a cost effective option for the
>          hobbyist?  What tools are used to attach fittings to the lines?
>          I imagine it's something more substantial than a common flaring
>          tool.  Does anybody know of sources for the needed tool(s) and
>          supplies?

You can do it, but the pressure fittings applied at the factory are
supperior and look better in my opinion.

>Thanks and regards,  Bob Douglas   Dallas, TX

             "The code is over when the CRASH CART is EMPTY !!!"

               Lehigh Valley Hospital    http://www.lvhhn.org