Re: metal brake line replacement & tools

To: Bob Douglas <b-douglas@ti.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: metal brake line replacement & tools
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 18:03:36 -0500
At 01:16 PM 3/14/97 -0800, Bob Douglas wrote:

> There was a recent post on another list that recommended changing
> out the metal brake lines when rebuilding old (30+ year) automotive
> hydraulics. I'd appreciate this list's inputs on a few related
> questions:
>
>  1. Are fatigue or corrosion related failures a significant risk on
>     old brake lines that appear sound on visual inspection (surface
>     rust only)?

Fatique isn't a real problem.  However as someone else pointed out,
the brake lines rot from the inside out and you just don't know.
My 67 Spitfire was totaled by an Olds. whose brake line failed and
dumped all his fluid.  He nailed me at 40mph.  Can you say OUCH?

>  2. I can purchase straight line with pre-attached fittings locally,
>     but have not been able to get good matches in the needed lengths
>     and desired material.  Does anybody have a supplier that can
>     provide custom lengths in stainless?

This can be a problem.  In restoring my Morgan, I was able to get the
correct lenght lines from one of the Vendors.  For my Bricklin, I
went to the local auto supply houses and had to purchase 3 sections
of solid brake line and a couple of couplings.  I could purchase a
complete set of lines from one of the Brick. vendors but they were
$150.  I've got a lot less than that in my auto supply store special.

> 3. Is building your own lines a cost effective option for the
>    hobbyist?  What tools are used to attach fittings to the lines?
>    I imagine it's something more substantial than a common flaring
>    tool.  Does anybody know of sources for the needed tool(s) and
>    supplies?

When you say building you own lines, if you mean from scratch, it
can be done.  However, let me caution you, brake lines use a "DOUBLE"
flare not the normal single flare.  These flaring tool are more
expensive, between $40 and $90 depending on where you get them from.

You'll need a tubing bender if you completely roll your own or use
the lines from the auto supply store.  These are fairly inexpensive,
I think I paid about $10 for mine.

One last point.  Are you restoring a demostic or British car?  I
think the British cars use a different thread then the American cars.
If you get the lines from the local auto supply store you'll probably
have to find some one that sells the adapters.  Again, I avoided
this problem on my Morgan by getting the lines from a Morgan vendor.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!