Re: Gas Cylinders (was: Shop Equipment for sale)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Gas Cylinders (was: Shop Equipment for sale)
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:53:00 -0500

-> Compare that with other product areas where technology or
-> styling make things obsolete so quickly.

 Most of the equipment in my machine shop is older than I am; a 1954
lathe, a 1950 mill, a 1941 mill (with a War Department plate!), another
lathe of uncertain vintage, probably around 1915.  Most of the engines I
work on are 20 years old or more.

 It is nice to work with stuff that, if I simply locked the door and
didn't get back to it for a year or two, it would still all work and be
useful.  In the fast-forward world of a WAN manager and application
programmer, even a one-week vacation would make me feel like Rip Van
Winkle.

 Right now I'm supporting myself building racing engines and just
keeping a toe in the computer world.  I hate Microsoft Windows.  I hate
Windows programs.  But that's okay; I was a computer geek before there
was Windows, and if I wait a few years, it'll go away.  Meanwhile I'll
fiddle with microcontroller stuff for the car.

 As the infamous Dilbert cartoon put it:

Wally: "The beard, the suspenders, the superior expression... you must
        be one of those Unix guys."
Old Guy: "Here's a nickel, kid.  Buy yourself a real operating system."

I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?
=================================== http://home1.gte.net/42/index.htm