Re: Tap and Die set

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tap and Die set
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:02:26 -0500
What I've used is a 1-2-3 block that had the appropriately drilled holes &
tapped threads.  Clamp it to the surface and get started.  Works for those
intricate pieces although I've had to clamp the piece and then gin up
something to hold the block lined up...

At 03:06 AM 12/28/99 ,  Tony  Clark was inspired to say:

>both taps and dies . . .  It's near impossible to get a good straight start
>with either.   I try to get anything I'm threading either on the drill press
>or the lathe but  I bet there is some sort of manual method that beats what
>I've been doing.    A  l--o--n--g   bodied tap handle would give better
>control, donno how to help the die handle.

Cheers!