Re: tractor rec's

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tractor rec's
From: "TONY CLARK" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:41:31 -0600
Dave wrote:

>>><snip>  My Dad bought a small International Harvester tractor in primo
condition at a good  price, then found out that though standard-size attachments
would fit the three-point, the PTO:

   A) had a smaller than standard spline
   B) turned in the opposite direction from normal
   C) turned at about half the RPM of normal  (actually, much faster than the
normal 540 rpm speed)

That would have to be the International Harvestor Farmall Cub.  The non-standard
PTO was just one of its quirks . . I still marvel at the single chunk of cast
iron that served as:

1.  the front axle mount
2.  the mount pad for the front cultivator
3.  the front motor mount
4. the steering gearbox
    and not the least:
3. the bottom tank of the radiator!

It was a four cylinder water cooled motor of only about 12 horsepower, regularly
out performed by single cylinder air-cooled lawn tractors.

A side note involves Kubota . . .When they surveyed the US market, they chose to
copy the Cub weird PTO configuration  and built the small  B6000 accordingly!
They quickly learned their error and have gone on to become one of the largest
manufacturer of tractors in the world.

Tony in Texas