Re: Drill Presses, #2

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Drill Presses, #2
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:05:00 -0700
Mark,

I have a two hp mill drill which runs on 120 vac. If you get a "sturdy"
mill drill you can do some pretty heavy duty milling & it makes a super
drill press.

You need to get one which has about a 8" by 29" bed &  most important, a
vertical column of four or more inches in diameter, for rigidity when
milling. Be sure to get a R8 spindle also. I have never come close to
running out of horsepower. You don't really need power table feed or
power quill feed or digital readout which would almost double the cost.
With floor stand & accessories it will probably cost one to two grand
but well worth it if you do much metal working. If you collect
additional tooling & cutters it will eventually add another grand to the tab.

Do an internet search for Enco, Grizzly, & MSC, industrial supply firms.
You will get a good education in the process. Check the link below for a
good home machine shop web site.

http://www.chaski.com/cgi-bin/machine_index.cgi

Dave Russell