Drill Presses, #2

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Drill Presses, #2
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:53:34 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

I posted a quick message about this the other day, but figured I should
give some more info and some more specific questions...

My teammate managed to bend the spindle on my old 10" benchtop drill press
that I've had for like 10 years.  Something about using holesaws in
methods they aren't designed for in a light duty machine... :-)

I've been wanting a "real" drill press for a while anyway though.  Anyone
got any recommendations, either of specific models / where to buy or
things to look out for?  I'd like something of machine shop quality,
though I probably can't afford that.  Ideally I'd be $400 or less, though
there's a craftsman industrial drill press that's 2hp, has a 20" swing,
has a 3/4" chuck, and just looks beefy as hell.  Its also $650... :-/

Seems like the "standard" home shop floor drill press is 3/4 hp, 17"
swing, around $300 or a bit less.  Would one of those do whatever I'd
need?  In particular, is 3/4 hp plenty, or would more hp be better?

I'm using it primarily for metal (Steel & AL) drilling, with the
occasional metal holesaw use to make rollcage mounts, etc.

Related to this a bit...  Do they make single phase 110 vac mills that are
worth anything? Should I be looking at one of those instead?  I could get
220 vac single phase to it if I had to, but it'd be kinda a pain.  Three
phase isn't possible.  Every now and then I do something where a mill
would be awfully handy.

Any help out there?

Mark